So...we have finally gotten back to the blog entry I posted all the way back in June...I won't even bother trying to convince you that I'm ever going to catch up and get back to 'real-time' in this blog. It'll be a bitter disappointment* if I claim it and then don't achieve it. And a happy surprise if I ever do! Pessimism eh? I find it handy.
I was in St Ives having two weeks of freedom before my dreaded London visit for my two week work placement. Not a lovely little beginners placement at a tiny graphics agency in an unknown town. This was BBH. In London of all places! That place where more than 10 people walk down the same road at the same time! Yes, I am a country bumpkin at heart. Oi woodden be a proper darter o' Zummerzet if oi din crave a bit o' grarse** (That wasn't rude)
BBH does all the advertising for Levis, Audi and a bunch of other famous names. They're the ones who did the famous hunky-man-in-a-laundrette-washing-his-jeans-to-sexy-music advert. So...it was quite intimidating thinking about going into the den of advertising all on my lonesome with no idea what I'd be expected to do (That wasn't rude either)
I left Bath with my bag stuffed full of 2 weeks worth of clothes and my trusty laptop and dragged it to London. Luckily I'd been able to arrange to stay with a friend in a beautiful flat for very little rent. Bargain! The best bit was I knew I'd be coming home at the end of the day to a familiar and friendly face after a no-doubt scary day.
I had a couple of days in London before I started my placement so I could attempt to calm down a bit. Mainly by memorising the way to the tube station.
I was getting a little worried when the day before I was due to go in I still hadn't heard from them any details like when I was supposed to arrive by, whether I needed to bring in my laptop to work on etc etc. I had asked but had no reply...More worryingly, the woman who had offered me the placement in the first place was now on maternity leave...So maybe no-one even knew I was supposed to be arriving the next day...Maybe they'd just look at me like I was an idiot and chuck me out...
Sugar lumps.
I set off the next day in my very first London rush hour in the middle of summer (a lovely experience) to find out my fate...
*nano-second of a blip in your brain...maybe.
** translation: 'I wouldn't be a proper daughter of Somerset if I didn't crave a bit of grass.'

"gotten" ...... tsk tsk tsk - what is the world coming to! Not a Zummerzet word so far as I know.
ReplyDeleteYour only about 7 months behind now .. and still it's a cliffhanger.
It's a great read and I'm enjoying it. thank you very much.