Whale Day! The sun had come out for us just in time too. All whale-watching trips had been cancelled for the last two weeks because of bad weather and ours was the first to be allowed out.
Our boat wasn't due to leave until 1 in the afternoon so we spent our morning being tourists around the city. I'm too lazy to write about that bit. I just tried to Google the Hallgrímskirkja to find out the fact about how the bloke who designed it had won a competition…I can't seem to find it so I possibly completely made that up…Oh well! That's what I learnt that morning anyway.
Another sprint to the correct boat and we got chucked off that one too. Apparently our best chance of seeing any whales was further down the coast. A lot of fishing boats had been spotted going to a particular area; boats mean fish and fish mean whales. So we travelled for an hour by coach before finally getting on a boat that was going to move.
When we got on board one of the first things the tour guide said was 'If anyone wants a seasickness tablet we have some downstairs…Its probably too late now though…You probably should've taken something in the coach…' I'm not going to go into detail but lets just say after not to long I saw my amazing American lunch again. Multiple times.
It was all worth it though! Not one but two humpback whales! Herbert and Humphrey.
Like an animal who knows its going to die and goes off quietly to do it on its own, I had separated myself from Hugo. By sheer luck I (literally) stumbled outside onto the lower deck and was stood just metres away from a whale that had just surfaced. He was so close that, when he blew through his blowhole, he sprinkled me with a cloud of mist.
A minute later the boat started to speed up to take us back to land. The sky had darkened and it looked like we were running away from some nasty weather.
So went my whale-watching experience. Not only had I seen a whale, I had also been wetly breathed on by one.

No comments:
Post a Comment