Tuesday, 8 April 2008

s.i.c day two

Sunday, the second day of Social Innovation Camp was much better than the first! Probably because I could start again and actually talk this time! I also found I could make myself useful by doing some of the little extra things that no-one else really had time for like quickly edit and export a video, check out the presentation venue, find out all the 'technical' information about how we could do the presentation and do a quick pdf to have up on screen etc.

The solution that was decided on was to create a website for people to rate their prison visits. Kind of a naming and shaming of poorly performing prisons that would hopefully create a feeling of competition amongst the prisons and encourage positive change.

Thankfully we had some very hard working coders in our group and they managed to get a working site up in less than a day! It still needs work but as a prototype I think its very impressive!

http://visits.sicamp.org

At 2pm everyone had to stop what they were doing, finished or not, and go across to the Bethnal Green Museum Of Childhood to pitch our ideas to a panel of judges. Thankfully my duty when I was there was to get all our work from my laptop onto another ready for the presentation and not to talk!

All the projects were pitched really well but despite having some hard questions thrown in by the judges we managed to come second. Yay! We got £1000 towards the project. 
There's a possibility our ideas might be piloted in Belmarsh prison but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, loads of thanks to Cassie, Huey, Marc, Peter, Mori, John, Dan, Julie, Patricia, Alison, Jeremy and Paul for putting up with me!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Well done. That is brilliant.

    Mister

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Graphic designer trying to make it in the grown-up world without growing up.