Having run away from the Greenwich wilderness I found myself in Kilburn at a building apparently originally used as rich people's pied-à-terres back in the day. I'm not sure which day but there's still an entrance that doesn't really fit cars but would be perfect for a carriage and horses…so those days.
I moved into a flat there to live with two other girls. After two years I'm still here! The other two girls moved on to other places/were driven crazy by me and left so I'm now the flats most seasoned resident (apart from the pot plant I'm desperately trying to revive at the moment)
My room was pretty sad when I first moved in but apparently so long as I don't knock down any walls or paint the walls black or anything like that I can do what I like in my room. I painted the walls but it wasn't enough! Before I had moved in, my flatmate had ripped up the carpet in the living room and sanded the floorboards underneath. My other flatmate did the same in her bedroom. I took this as official permission and decided to do it my bedroom too.
I'm not exactly a DIY expert…I'd actually say I'm a DIY disaster. In secondary school I managed to set fire to a piece of wood whilst drilling it…You get the idea.
I enlisted my little brother to come and help me do it. Ripping up the carpet was fine but sanding the whole floor with one small handheld sander was probably a mistake. It took ages but we finally managed to get it done.

Add in some Mum-made curtains and duvet cover and a load of Dad-put-together furniture and I was set!
Kilburn isn't as scenic as Greenwich but the flat has hot water and heating and lights and a working roof! Luxury.
I'll have moved out before the lettings agents find out about the floor…

A transformation. And how clever to get other people to do the hard labour. Good planning and supervision is the key anyway - right?
ReplyDelete